Friday, December 2, 2011

Ruffled Tree Skirt

Yes, ruffled tree skirts are everywhere this year.  But, it’s because they are so amazingly cute!  I saw this one on HGTV.com and had to make it.  The only big problem was everything had a raw edge.  I could just imagine the shredded mess it would be after two or three years of use.  So, I used my 1/8 inch hemming foot and hemmed 4 yards of 3 inch strips.  It took hours.  But, it was totally worth it.  I zigzagged all the edges of the canvas fabric that the strips are sewn on AND when it was all finished, used a bottle of NO  FRAY on all the ribbon and zigzagged edges.  (Just to be on the safe side!)   I also changed the size of the 2 inch strips to 3 inches.  I really like how it turned out.  It does look a bit different from the original, but I’m pretty sure it’ll last for years to come.
Ruffled Christmas Tree Skirt

Ruffled Tree Skirt

Love, love, love it.

Stormy

3 comments:

  1. The tree skirt is just beautiful and you are just nuts to do it. I love itl

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it!!!! I PROMISE it too way too much time to glue mine!! I KNOW that I could have sewn it faster than it took me to glue mine!!! I LOVE that you hemmed the edges!! It is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I am your newest CHAOTIC follower!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW.. GO Martha! he he he... and I keep hearing someone say they don't have enough time to do anything?

    Gorgeoumous! Tree skirt envy....and darling wreath. GOOOOOOOO Shannon!

    ReplyDelete