Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My Scrappy Star Surprise

Recently, I have started loving scrap quilts.  Precuts had barely been introduced when I first started quilting.  They were so easy to sew with and all the fabrics matched.  It was fabulous!  Most of the quilts I have made have been from one fabric line.  I still get all excited when I see charm packs and jelly rolls.  But, as I was browsing quilt blogs a few months ago, I came across this blog.  There on the computer screen was the exact same quilt my mom had made in the early ‘80’s!  I fell in love with it then and it is still one of my favorite quilts. My grandma and mom started cutting out hundreds of little diamonds to make scrappy star quilts.  Every star was made from a different fabric.  Many of the fabrics had been used in pillows, dresses, doll clothes etc.  It took them years to trace, cut out, trace 1/4 inch sewing lines, hand sew the stars, piece together, then hand quilt the quilt. Not many people do that anymore!.  Anyway….  after seeing that someone else was making a scrappy star quilt the same way as my mom and grandma, I remembered something.

Scrappy diamondsScrappy diamonds 2

Scrappy diamond stacks

scrappy stars

Yes!  My mom gave me all of the leftover scraps from their quilts years ago, and I had totally forgotten!   I pulled them out and found I have diamonds, already cut out, for about 80 stars!!!!!  I found fabric from dresses I wore as a kid, a pillow my grandma made me, scraps from my mom’s clothing, and many more I recognized, but could not place.  It’s all so very nostalgic.   Guess, what I’m going to start making?!  I don’t have a picture of my mom’s quilt. (Will have to get one soon.)  But here is a link to Crazy Mom Quilts so you can see what I’m talking typing about.

One day I’ll have my own scrappy stars quilt.

Stormy

2 comments:

  1. What a neat thing to discover that you already had! Are they the same prints your mother used in her quilt? I love quilts that are somehow "related" to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a few diamonds that are the same in both my mom's and grandma's quilts. But, most of them are different.

    ReplyDelete