Friday, December 7, 2012

My Mug Rug

I had no idea what a mug rug was two weeks ago.  I must be out of the loop.  My sister called me to tell me how fun and easy it was to make one.  My thoughts?  I’d rather make a quilt.  Until…. this week the same sister introduced me to herbal teas.  Yum!  I didn’t know what I was missing.  Now, I’m afraid I’ve gone a bit tea crazy.  Of course I wanted a mug rug now! (Or, maybe I should call it a tea mat…. or tea quilt?)  What else would I use to go along with my collection of cute little tea cups?

Quilted mug rug

It was so fun to make!  I designed it, pieced it, quilted it and sewed on the binding in just over two hours.

Stats: Riley Blake fabric – Felicity

Size: 10in x 12in

Fabric pieces:

Large floral  - 3 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches and 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches

Plaid  -  2 1/2 x 6 1/2 inches

Medallion – 3 1/2 x 6 1/2 inches and 2 1/2 x 7 1/2 inches

Polka Dot – 3 1/2 x 10 1/2 inches

Geometric – Border around large floral – (2) 1 1/2 x 6 1/2 in. strips and (2) 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 in. strips.  You will also need a  1 1/2 x 10 1/2 inch strip and for binding a 2 1/2 x 50 inch strip.

I used a light weight batting and for the backing, a slightly larger rectangle of the large floral.  About a 12 x 14 piece.

quilted mug rug back

It was fun quilting it too!  Some of the lines are not as straight as I would have wanted, (the side strip on purpose) but considering I had a three year old in my lap, I think it turned out pretty good.

This won’t be the last mug rug you see here…..

Stormy

No comments:

Post a Comment