Thursday, May 3, 2012

Hexagon Pillow

What better way to practice for my hexagon quilt than to make a hexagon pillow?  Hexagons have always scared me a little, so I have never tried to make one.  But, when I was in California last month, I visited a cute little quilt store called Cotton and Chocolate Quilt Co.  (They are going to be featured in the next Quilt Sampler Magazine!)  The store owner, Marilyn, was there and she gave me lots of helpful tips and advice on how to make  hexagons.  She even has a tips and techniques booklet she has put out that gives you step by step directions on making a flower garden quilt.

So, after many reassurances that I would actually be able to make a flower garden quilt, I bought a kit and her booklet.  But, I wanted a little practice first.  I needed another pillow for my bed, so I gave it a shot.

hexagon pillow

It was much easier than I had thought!  Although, it did take me a few hexagons to figure out how to keep the paper pattern centered on the back.  I chose not to blind stitch around the flower, but to sew 1/4 inch in from the outside edge.  I wanted a more quilted look to it.  I think it turned out pretty cute.

Hexagon pillow closeup

The fabrics are from the ‘Fresh Cottons’ and ‘Breakfast at Tiffany’s’ lines.  The pillow is a perfect finish for my bed makeover!

Bed pillows

I think it will be quite a while before I can show my finished hexagon quilt, but I will be working on it slowly and surely!

Stormy

No comments:

Post a Comment