Friday, August 31, 2012

Star Sampler Quilt Along–Block 5

This weeks star is super easy.  The entire block is made of half square triangles.  It’s called the Ribbon Star.  I’ve seen this star with all four corners the same fabric or four different fabrics.  I decided to use two fabrics, because of what I had to choose from.  The blue and yellow are my brightest fabrics and everything else I auditioned faded in comparison.  So, you can decide which version works best with your fabric selection and make that version.  I also added some corner triangles for a little more variety.

Ribbon Star

Cutting and Fabric

ribbon star fabric

Fabric 1 – Background – (8) 4 in. squares

Fabric 2 and 3 – Yellow and Blue – (3) 4 in. squares of each

Fabric 4 – Grey – (2) 4 in. squares

**Cut all squares once diagonally

Step 1 (For some reason I don’t have many pictures of making this block.  Either I forgot or I thought it was easy enough that pictures weren’t needed.  I truly don’t remember what I was thinking. Anyway…  I don’t think many are needed because it is only half square triangles sewn together.  But, just in case you were wondering…..)

ribbon star layout

Lay out your triangles into ribbon star block. 

Step 2

ribbon star step 2

Sew your half square triangles together to make squares.  Press open and trim to 3 1/2 in.

Step 3

ribbon star 3

Sew squares into rows.  Press. Then sew rows together for finished block.  You’re done with block 5! (Told you it was easy.)

Stormy

No comments:

Post a Comment