Saturday, August 4, 2012

Star Sampler Quilt Along

A quilt-a-long is always so much fun. Plus, I love sampler quilts.  So, I decided to pick 12 of my favorite star blocks and do my own quilt-a-long.  Once I had the idea, I was so excited I couldn’t wait to start planning it.  The fabric I will be using is from the new Riley Blake line “Seaside” and a few additional fat quarters I picked up in Utah while shopping the fabric stores.  I have 20 fat quarters here to choose from, but you can use as few fabrics or as many as you like, depending on how scrappy you want your quilt to look.

Seaside fat quarter stash

Block #1  - 16 Patch Sawtooth -

Star Sampler Quilt Along

Cutting and Fabric

sawtooth star squares

Fabric 1 – Background (cream) cut (4) 3 1/2 in. squares and (4) 3 1/2 x 6 1/2in. rectangles.

Fabric 2 – Star Points (blue dot) cut (8) 3 1/2 in. squares.

Fabric 3 and 4 – Center Squares (multi floral and red geometric) cut (16) total (8 of ea,) 2 in. squares.

Step 1

mark flying geese square

Using a ruler and pencil (or fabric marker), draw a diagonal line on the back of Fabric 2 squares  from corner to corner.

Step 2

sew and trim quarter inch flying geese

Lay your marked square (RST - right sides together) on top of a Fabric 1 rectangle, lining up one side, top and bottom.  Sew along your marked line.  Then, trim off the corner using a 1/4 in. seam allowance.  Press the seam allowance towards the darker fabric.

Step 3

sew and trim second flying geese square

Repeat Step 2 to sew another square to the opposite side of the rectangle.  Press open.

Make (4) flying geese blocks.

Step 4

Center 16 patch

Lay a square of Fabric 3 on Fabric 4 (RST) and sew a 1/4 in. along one side.  Repeat for all 8 sets of blocks creating (8) two patches.  Press all seams to darker fabric.  Then, lay all two patches (RST) and sew to make (4) strips of (4) squares. Sew strips together (pinning at corners) to make the final 16 patch.  Press.

(As I was typing the instructions, I realized I should have taken more pictures showing these steps.  Sorry.)

Step 5

layout sawtooth star blocks

Lay your blocks into three rows and sew each row together.  Then sew rows together making sure to pin the corners.

And you are finished with Block 1.  Yeah!  I hope you are as excited as I am to sew the next block!

Stormy

1 comment:

  1. Go see!
    http://gypsybandana.blogspot.com/2012/08/sew-stormy-quilt-along.html

    ReplyDelete