Thursday, February 24, 2011

Meadowsweet is finished!

I love I love I love finishing quilts.  A big part of the excitement is because the quilt top has been sitting around my sewing room for an embarrassing amount of time before I decided to actually finish it.   Fortunately, my Meadowsweetie only had to wait 3 months.  But, all my other quilt tops sitting on the shelf are now crying out to me.  “Why won’t you finish me?” , “I’ve been waiting for years!” and “Don’t you love me anymore?”.  (If you give inanimate objects feelings, does that mean you have some kind of psychological problem? If so, be worried.  I’ve done it for as long as I can remember.)

Anyway, this is my first real attempt at applique.  Don’t look too close.  Really.   I wasn’t very patient and didn’t exactly read the instructions.  Also, when I quilted around the circles in the flowers, it did not go so well.  I tried three methods of quilting and none of them looked very good. (I’m just not that good at free handing circles.)  If anyone knows a good method, please let me know.

So, here is one of my favorite finished quilts!  Despite the fact that I had to unpick large amounts of stitches, I burned myself on the sewing machine light bulb and the applique didn’t go so well. I still love it.  Actually, I originally picked out the fabrics because one of them strongly reminded me of my grandma!  I couldn’t figure out why though.  I took the fabric to show my dad and to ask him if he knew.  He said he knew exactly why.  The green plaid fabric was very similar to the wallpaper in her upstairs hallway!  Oh Yeah!!  The family picture wall!  So, whenever I look at this quilt, I think of my Grandma. Meadowsweet Quilt

I’m very anxious to start my next quilt.  But, not until I’ve finished one more top.  My red and white Disappearing 9 Patch has to be quilted first.  Hopefully, I can keep the excitement going before my good intentions break down….

1 comment: